The Spanish invented the quill pen and are the biggest producer of marble. However, here are some other fun facts about Spain.
Fun facts about Spain include:
- The official name of Spain is the ‘’Kingdom of Spain’. It is the second largest country in Western Europe and the European Union with an area of 505,955 square kilometres. If compared, it is 47000km2 smaller than France and 81000 km2larger than California, U.S.
- Spanish is the second-most widely spoken language in the world.
- The national anthem of Spain has no words and the bull is the national animal of Spain.
- Spain was divided into separate kingdoms with different languages
- Also, incidentally, public nudity is legal in Spain.
The Sagrada Familia church has been under construction for more than 130 years and it might take many more years to be completed.
- Spain has the highest life expectancy of 82 years in Europe and has been ranked 15thin the world.
- As per United Nations statistics, Spain will be the world’s oldest country by 2050 with 40 percent of the population aged over 60.
- Even though approx. 70 percent of the population are Roman Catholic, only 13.6 percent of the total population goes to church on Sundays.
- After the demise of the right-wing dictator, General Franco in 1975, former king Juan Carlos I wore the crown. Once being the most loved monarch Juan Carlos fell from the grace and his son King Felipe occupied the throne in 2014.
- Only one tax inspector is assigned for every 1928 taxpayers.
- According to 2015 the survey report, Spain has the second highest unemployment rate in Europe.
- Woman entrepreneurs are emerging at a faster rate, setting up 40 percent of all the new businesses in Europe.
- According to the 2013 OECD report, Spaniards spend 16 hours on leisure, drinking, sleeping and other recreational activities in a day.
- Spain gifted the first ever stapler, mop and bucket to the world.
- Half of the world’s olive oil is produced in Spain.
- Some of the world’s greatest artists are Spanish.
- Spain is the melting pot of diverse cultures encompassing Greeks, Romans, Visigoths, Iberians, Celts, Basques and the Moors.
- The oldest restaurant in the world is located in Spain’s capital – Madrid.
- Spain’s national lottery has the world’s highest payout.
Another 10 fun facts about Spain:
- Spain’s national football team topped the world rankings for five consecutive years.
- A designated zipline connects Spain and Portugal.
- There is a 47-story skyscraper with no elevator in Spain.
- The Eiffel Tower was originally planned for Barcelona, Spain but the project was rejected.
- The U.S. is home to more Spanish speakers than Spain.
- Japan once wanted to buy the Philippines from Spain for 40 million pounds.
- Spain was ranked as the World’s most-sought-after destination in 2013.
- Spain hosts thousands of festivals throughout the year.
- 44 UNESCO World Heritage sites can be found in Spain
- Also, the first novel ever written was by a Spaniard.
Moving to Spain
Enjoy reading our fun facts about Spain? How about moving to Spain and discovering some for yourself. If you are thinking of relocating to Spain, hire a reputable company to help.